Built in 1460 on the project by Leon Battista Alberti, like St. Andrew’s,it is one of the most important Renaissance churches. Begun under the direction of Luca Fancelli it was closed only after 40 years and already after the death of Ludovico Gonzaga ( 1479) we lost traces of any documents. Unfortunately it was heavily renovated in 1925 and transformed in war memorial. We do not know how much of the original project is still there but one can see a lot of classical elements like arches, pediment, pilaster strips. Though, these elements are reduced to the essential, with almost no ornaments and an overall lack of articulation. A loggia on the right leads inside the church. The structure looks very well balanced and has a Greek cross plan. The Crypt is dedicated to the fallen.
Guided tours around Mantua