A few meters away from Mantegna’s House this palace was built in 1506 when Francesco Gonzaga decided to renovate and enlarge a preexistent building to make it his new residence near the stables on the Te island (before Palazzo Te was built).The palace was beautifully decorated by Lorenzo Costa and Lorenzo Leombruno and a special salon was built for the display of the Triumphs of Cesar By Andrea Mantegna, now at Hampton Court in London. The residence was abandoned as early as 1536 and underwent a lot of damage down through the centuries. Most of the ceilings were transferred to the Ducal palace at the end of the 16th century. Today it is the City Museum.
Guided tours around Mantua